I am not much of a baker and I don’t particularly like using gluten free flours, especially ones with potato or corn starch. Growing up in an Italian household dessert was usually fresh fruit, except for the rare special occasion, which didn’t happen as often as I would’ve liked since I was a child obsessed with sugar. I no longer regularly crave sugar and sweets but when I do I use whole ingredients and prefer raw desserts like chocolate mousse made out of avocado (recipe to come in a future post) or my gluten-free, nut and fruit bites rolled in shredded coconut. They are simple to make yet are festive and would be the perfect ending to your holiday meal.
- 1 cup of dried fruit (I use half medjool dates and half unsulphered apricots)
- ½ cup of raw almonds
- ½ cup of raw walnuts
- 1-2 Tbs. water
- Shredded coconut, dried
- In a food processor add dried fruit and nuts. Pulse to a medium fine meal. The mixture won’t necessarily stick together at this point. While processor is on slowly add 1-2 TBS water until the meal begins to stick together.
- Place about a cup of shredded coconut in a bowl.
- Use a teaspoon to spoon out small round bite size portions of the fruit and nut mixture, roll in the shredded coconut and place on a baking sheet.
- Place fruit and nut bites in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet and store in a glass container with a tight lid in the refrigerator. Take out a “bite” as you desire and enjoy.
Please share your whole food based desserts.